SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Struck | Jennifer Bosworth | Review



"My name is Mia Price and I am a lightening addict. 
I want the lightning to find me. I crave it like lungs crave oxygen. 
Nothing Makes you feel more alive than being struck."


With a description like that, I was intrigued. But I was a little disappointed.

Struck, by Jennifer Bosworth,  follows the story of Mia Price, who lives in the city with her mother and brother, just trying to get by. The story begins just after the biggest earthquake ever has hit, and nothing is like it used to be. People are homeless, and those with homes are only just getting by. Kids like Mia and her brother Parker are able to get food rations if they attend school as usual, so, in an attempt to help their mentally sick mother, they do so. Their mother, who never leaves the house, watches Rance Ridley Prophet on TV, a crazy man who is, essentially, the leader of a religious cult. At school, Mia discovers that, along with the Followers of Prophet, there are another group of people among them, the Seekers, who tell Mia that she has the Spark, and is the one who is going to stop both Prophet from getting into people's minds, and also the storm that is fast approaching.

That's the main gist of the story, but as I got past the first few chapters, I began to discover that it wasn't really what I was expecting. I think I expected more lightning, more storm chasing, or more of this lightning addiction that was mentioned in the description. It became quite clear that it was more about Mia saving or destroying the world and stopping a false prophet and his crazy followers, than what I thought. Which was fine, in itself. I don't think many of the books we read are what we thought they would be, but I did find myself getting bored with it. I didn't really care for any of the characters, the love interest was a bit creepy, and while the story line had it's cool moments, over all, I don't think it was the book for me.

However! If you like books about religious cults, TV shows, and secret societies that run out of high schools, with a stalker-ish love interest, then you might enjoy this book. Don't let my negative views on it stop you from reading it. I've given it 2 stars, because, going with Good Reads rating system, it 'was okay'. I liked the idea of being addicted to lightning strikes, but I feel it didn't come through enough.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.