Guest Review | Dark Matter | Michelle Paver

Thursday, 19 February 2015

dark matter 
Image via Goodreads

I very rarely make time to read books. I've been a little lazy with my hobbies over the past few months (especially when you're renovating a house, juggling everything can be hard work!) I've decided I must read more this year, ideally one book a month. I came across Dark Matter in a charity shop - best place to find cheap books! I thought it sounded interesting, although I had never heard of it before.

The story revolves around Jack, a 28 year old living in London in 1937. He's very poor, and has lost his family. An expedition has been organised to the far north in Gruhunken, a deserted mine. Jack agrees to go with them, and so the three men set up camp in a small hut, but it's not too long before they experience a lot of bad luck despite previous warnings about Gruhunken.

I instantly fell in love with this book. I loved the fact it was a ghost story, and I was ready for it! It started off a little scary, but I was left a little disappointed with the ending. Overall, it's a brilliant book and I definitely recommend it. It's been written beautifully, and you can easily relate to Jack's character.

The ending took an unexpected turn for me, as I obviously had no idea what would happen, but I was hoping it wouldn't end like it did! I won't spoil it too much as it really is well worth a read.

Have you read Dark Matter? What did you think of it?

3stars

This post was written by guest blogger Fiona from Door Eleven
author image

Post author: Erin

Erin has been blogging since 2010 but recently launched new blog A Natural Detour. Back in 2012 she teamed up with Ria to create Blogger's Bookshelf after rediscovering her love of books and hasn't looked back since! Her favourite reads include Ready Player One and Dangerous Girls.

No comments :

Post a Comment