SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | 5 Series I Probably Won't Finish

Sometimes you finish the first book in a series and you immediately feel like you need to read the next book and every book that comes after it. You need more of this world and these characters right now! Sometimes you don't. Sometimes you finish the first book in a series and you just know that you are probably never going to get around to those other books. You're never going to find out where this series goes and you're pretty okay with that. Today I'm going to share with you five series whose first books just didn't manage to convince me to keep reading.

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

I thought the world of City of Bones was really interesting and unique. The writing, however, was a different story, and I just couldn't stand most of the characters. I so wanted to love this book but the pages and pages of info-dump and infuriating characters just made me furious by the time I got to the big ending.

The Divergent series by Veronica Roth

Of all the series on this list Divergent is the one I could probably most easily be convinced to try again but unless someone really wants to convince me, it's unlikely. I enjoyed Divergent but I just didn't understand why this society is split in the way that it is. Many aspects of the story were believable but the very foundation of this world wasn't for me and it's a little bit difficult to get past that.

The Legend series by Marie Lu

Legend is actually a favourite of a very good friend of mine, so it's an excellent example of the fact that taste is subjective, because I couldn't stand it. I didn't like or empathise with any of the characters and I thought the main romance came out of absolutely nowhere. Although, since it is an adaptation of Les Miserables, maybe that's on purpose?

The Matched series by Ally Condie

Matched is another one that I thought I would love but, like many of the others already mentioned on this list, I didn't really believe the world and I didn't really like any of the main characters. Not understanding why the rules were in place and not feeling any real investment in the characters' lives meant that, unfortunately, I just didn't really care very much what happened.

The Vincent Boys series by Abbi Glines

I actually won my copy of The Vincent Boys in a twitter competition and, admittedly, it's probably not something I would have picked up otherwise. I gave it a try though, with an open mind, and I certainly enjoyed it more than I expected. I can see why it's so popular but it's really just not my thing at all. It's always good to read things outside of your usual tastes but I think I can safely say I won't be picking up the following books in this series.

So, what series are you just probably not going to finish? Did you feel the same about any of the series I've mentioned? Or are these all your favourite books and you think I have terrible taste now? Feel free to try and convince me to change my mind about any of them in the comments and definitely let me know which series you probably won't finish.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.