SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | Read Women Month


Today I want to talk about something that I've been doing over on my personal blog for the past couple of years. Read Women Month is something I started doing in 2014 because I had been reading a lot about how female writers are often not taken as seriously as male writers.

Genres and age groups in which female writers are the norm, such as romance and young adult fiction, are often seen as not being 'literary', and somehow less, and because of this stigma a lot of female authors are often completely overlooked for certain literary awards. I'm sure we've all seen the literary awards nominations with 90% male authors nominated, and the articles that appear with alarming regularity to declare some male writer or another as the 'saviour' of YA. Young adult books are more popular now than they have ever been, and, although I have nothing bad to say about any of the male authors writing for that age group, its success is not solely down to John Green and Patrick Ness. And I'm confident that they would agree with me.

So Read Women Month is exactly what it sounds like. During the month of June I read exclusively books written by women, as my own small way of celebrating women writers. I'm quite sure I am not the only person to ever think of doing this, but, going into its third year, Read Women Month has become something that I get excited about every year. I can't wait to spend a whole month celebrating fantastic women writers and I'd like to invite you to join me.

You don't have to have a blog or anything like that. The only rule is to read and celebrate books written by women for the month of June. That's it. You can post about it on your social media accounts or your blogs if you want to and use the banner or the hashtag, but you don't have to. All you have to do is spend June celebrating female writers. That's it.

What do you think?

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.