Features | Books That Have Been On My TBR For Too Long

Friday, 19 August 2016


1. The one I borrowed years ago and have yet to return.

I borrowed my dad's copy of Catch-22 probably about ten years ago now. I've started reading it at least three times since then but for some reason I always seem to pick it up when I'm in the wrong mood for it. I know exactly what to expect and I'm sure that I'll like it but I have just yet to find the perfect time for me to read it. Luckily, I don't think my dad is expecting it back any time soon.

2. The one I was required to read but never did.

In Cold Blood was one of the assigned books for a module on biography and crime writing that I did at university but I didn't give myself enough time to read it properly before the seminar. I skim read it and really liked the parts that I did read so I've been meaning to actually read it ever since but with the immediate deadline of having to discuss it in a seminar gone it has been sat on my bookshelf half forgotten since I finished that module.

3. The one that is just too intimidating.

The Mists of Avalon has so many pages. I'm really interested in Arthurian literature and as this is a really popular Arthurian book and one of the only books I know of that focuses on the women in those legends, I know I'm going to find it really interesting. But it just has so many pages.

4. The one I'm most ashamed about.

Everyone has read To Kill a Mockingbird. Even people who don't read a lot of books have read To Kill a Mockingbird. But I haven't. In fact, I didn't even own it until last year. We never studied it at school, which I know is how a lot of people come to it, and although I have wanted to read it for a long time, I guess there have just always been other books I wanted to read more. I am going to read it though. Soon!

5. The one that has been there the longest.

I think I was about seven or eight when my mum bought Northern Lights for me. I was deep into Harry Potter and so a lot of fantasy books were bought at around that time, although if I'm being honest not a lot were read, but Northern Lights is the one that I most feel like I should have read by now. These books are a huge part of so many people's childhoods, and yet my only experience with it is that I read the first few pages, decided it wasn't enough like Harry Potter, and then it sat on my bookshelf for seventeen years and now I feel a little pang of guilt every time I look at it.

What are the books that have been on your TBR for too long?
author image

Post author: Anastasia

Anastasia is an English and Creative Writing graduate and aspiring writer. She spends most of her time trying to pass off reading books and watching films as research for her many works in progress but occasionally she also remembers to blog at stasialikescakes.

No comments :

Post a Comment