SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | On February's TBR

solar bones february tbr book blog

I'm not usually one to set monthly TBRs as I’ve been known to fail miserably in the past, but with my library reservations lined up and a few reading challenges underway, today I thought I'd break tradition and share my February reading list with you.

A Tyranny Of Petticoats, edited by Jessica Spotswood (2016)

First up is of course our February book club title, which this month was chosen by Anjali. A Tyranny Of Petticoats contains fifteen short stories penned by fifteen different YA authors, including three whose work I've read before; Marie Lu, Beth Revis and Marissa Meyer. The book takes the reader on a historical journey from 1710 to 1968 and promises tales of 'badass girls'.

I've really been loving short story collections lately (this will be the fourth one I've read this year) so I'm really looking forward to it! If you would like to join in and readalong with us you can find out more about Anjali's reasons for choosing the book and how you can send us your feedback in this recent post.

The Strange Library, Haruki Murakami (2005)

This book has been sat on my Goodreads TBR list since 2015 and comes recommended by Ria as a good introduction to Murakami (I'm also planning to read IQ84 this year as part of my 'vow to read list'). I recently discovered that my local library has this one in stock so I've reserved a copy and am looking forward to finding out more about the mysterious and unusual story. It's also the title I've selected for the 2018 Popsugar Challenge prompt 'a book that involves a bookstore or library'.

Station Eleven, Emily St John Mandel (2014)

Speaking of things that have been on my Goodreads TBR since 2015, I've owned a Kindle copy of Station Eleven for over two years now so there's really no excuse! This coupled with the fact that it's one of those books I've heard nothing but amazing things about landed the book on my 2018 'vow to read' list. Looking at the synopsis it sounds set to be a really unique take on the dystopian genre and I can't wait to finally read it.

Tales From The Dead Of Night, edited by Cecily Gayford (2014)

Whilst browsing the shelves at Waterstones in search of book club inspiration, I stumbled across this book when I was drawn in by the beautiful cover design. Containing thirteen spooky ghost stories from a selection of authors including Ruth Rendell and Rudyard Kipling this book sounds like Halloween come early to me. As we all know at this point (broken record over here...), short story collections are a big favourite for me right now and I'm hoping this selection won't disappoint.

Solar Bones, Mike McCormack (2016)

This was the only book from my January library haul that I didn't quite manage to squeeze in last month. Whilst I don't know anything about the plot, I'm very intrigued by the fact that the book doesn't have chapters or punctuation and takes place over just one hour. In my library haul I mentioned that I'm expecting this book to take me out of my reading comfort zone so I'm really keen to find out more.

+ 1 Mystery Read...

As it's my turn to pick the BB book club title next month, I'm also planning on reading the book I've selected beforehand in order to allow me to tailor the feedback form to the book. Of course, I'm keeping quiet about the book's identity until the announcement post in a few weeks time, but I can reveal that it's a short novel, making it the first BB book club pick that isn't a short story collection. I'm excited about the title I've chosen and I hope you will be too!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.